Thursday, July 1, 2010

Work! Family! Personal! We've Got It All!!

Sometimes I don’t write anything because nothing has happened, but in this case I haven’t written because too much has happened. I did want to write before I leave on vacation (Taste of Chicago Saturday, Rockford fireworks Sunday, leave for St. Joseph’s Monday!!!). First, work…
I have told you about the situation at work. First a few weeks ago, a parent complained because her daughter got wet and (GASP!!) dirty. Last week the same parent complained (to me, not my boss for once) that her daughter was never in our class newspaper. I explained calmly to the parent that her daughter goes to summer school in the morning, and the morning is when the kids write their articles, and when we do the things that show up in the paper. Friday the daughter threw a FIT about having to play kickball. The class rule is that you play the first half hour at any one place (ball field, park, etc) and then you can sit out. She threw a fit in the middle of the ball field and told me her mom said she didn’t have to play if she didn’t want. After warning her that her behavior would lead to “serious consequences” I made her apologize to her classmates “I’m sorry I ruined your fun.” She had to say. Then I let her off. I told her sister who picked her up, because she was still upset. Monday her mom complained about the way I talked to the sister. Tuesday she slapped another girl in the leg while I was sitting about six inches away. I made her apologize. I should clarify that I make them apologize by looking whoever they’re apologizing to in the face and saying “I’m sorry for…” which you hear in my class about every 2.3 minutes. The girl refused to sit up, refused to apologize for several minutes, finally did it mere seconds before mom showed up. I’m no longer allowed to speak to the family, so I said nothing. Thirty minutes later my boss came downstairs with the mom and her daughter who had been telling them that I made her apologize to another child because the other child kicked her. Twenty minutes after that the kid admitted that she had slapped the person she apologized to, and her mom didn’t care. She was too caught up in what I had done (made her kid apologize). She eventually threatened my boss with a phone call to DCFS (our supervising agency), my boss told her to go ahead. She also said that we favor staff kids (I personally am probably harder on staff kids). Her daughter came outside where I was watching ten other kids to yell “What is wrong with you?!?” at us. She is now hanging out in another teacher’s class until I get back from vacation. Her mom was told she had until then to either adjust to my class (getting dirty, participating, respecting everyone…) or to find a different school for her kid. Works rocks (no, I’m serious, I’m so glad how supportive my boss has been throughout this situation).
Now Family…
We took Niece and Nephew to the zoo again. Nephew can now say rilla (gorilla), pant (elephant), ger (tiger), sheal (seal), fin (dolphin), pig (guinea pig), cat (self-explanatory), and I don’t even know what else. Kid knows his animals is what I’m saying. He’s just over a year old now, so I’m pretty proud of him. We took in a dolphin show, touched the stingrays (actually Niece only tapped the top of the water because she was afraid and Nephew’s arms weren’t long enough, but I touched the rays), played at the play zoo, pet a guinea pig at the play zoo, saw the gorillas and the alligators and rode the carousel. It was an excellent day, but at this point I think they just expect to go to the zoo when they see Aunt Tina and Grandma. I hope they don’t get upset when I’m gone the next three weekends!
Personally…
I got to hang out with a friend from high school. This is the last of my Christian friends, the rest of them having fallen to the wayside as they became more conservative and I became more liberal. Also as I objected to being used as a scapegoat for everything wrong in people’s lives (more on that another day maybe). She is one of the sweetest people I know. She is also the friend whom I told you was adopting.  I hadn’t really hung out with her the last month or so due to the drama in her life and my new work schedule. Later, I ran into a friend I usually only see a few times a month at the library tonight. Next thing I knew almost an hour had passed and I had seen his famous movie list (he’s listed every movie he’s ever seen apparently), and records every movie in some crazy system I think only he understands. It was pretty cool. He also showed me this. Mel Gibson is clearly a troubled man.
As of six pm tomorrow I’m on vacation, so this will have to hold you over until I get home. Then I’ll tell you all about vacation, and also what happened to my Christian friends.

1 comment:

  1. you're adorable and funny. sure- you can use my name. :) who was the library friend? and i am seriously so confused about what you did at the library... with whom? and... huh? ok. whatever. :) can't wait to hear more from you.

    happy almost birthday! and have a great vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete