Saturday, March 5, 2011

What Friendship Means

One of my favorite musicals is Wicked. If you haven’t seen it, it’s the untold story of the witches of Oz before Dorothy dropped in. In this tale Glinda and Elphaba (the wicked witch) go to school together and become friends. The two girls separate when Glinda chooses power and Elphaba chooses right (in Wicked Elphaba is the “good guy” framed by circumstance and choice). Eventually, in one emotional climax of the show, they have a tearful goodbye, explain what they’ve meant to each other over the years. The song is called For Good and it has meant a lot to me. It reminds me to cherish my friends, and I once used it as the basis of a note ending a decade long friendship that was no longer healthy for either of us. Now, it is the ringtone that plays whenever any of my good friends call me (if I have to have your number in my phone, and I don’t like you- it plays No One Mourns the Wicked from the same show). The song goes like this…



I wish I could post this with full video instead, but it doesn't exist easy to hear and with picture, so you'll have to make do with this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment