Monday, April 5, 2010

Back to school?

For some reason today I started really thinking about grad school again. I’ve always wanted a PhD after my name and the next major step towards that goal is a master’s degree. Here’s the major problem- what does one do with a doctoral degree in history other than teach at the college level? I’ve always wanted to teach high school history and going for my master’s degree now is just not practical. I already can’t find a job teaching, and it’s even harder to get one with no experience but a master’s degree. On the other hand, I would like to enroll in a great program and none of the ones I like allow you to work while in school. So if I’m going to do it, I kind of want to do it now when I have almost no bills. So I went ahead and started some of the basic research into school. It’s too late for the 2010-11 school year, but I think I’m going to say “If I don’t have a teaching job for the 2011-12 school year, I’m going back to school.” I don’t think I should put off all my dreams, and if I can’t have achieve one then I’m going to work towards another. What do you think? Answer in the poll to the right!

This post came with a poll asking, “Going back to school- good idea or terrible idea?”. The poll is now closed and the results are as follow…
Definitely do it 66%
If that’s what you really want 33%
Stick to teaching 0%

No comments:

Post a Comment