Thursday, April 8, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

Yesterday I mentioned that I might post one of my short stories today. Well I thought about it and I decided that I was going to. But it's kind of long for a blog post (nealry five typed pages), so I decided to make it one of my pages. You can see it over there on the right column right under pages where it says “Beauty and the Beast”.
Before you read it, I do want to share why I selected this particular fairy tale to rewrite. Here’s my one major issue with this story. At the beginning, when the prince is cursed by the witch she says to him something along the lines of him being ugly until he learns to love and is loved in return. Which is all fine and good, but… and major spoiler warnings here…I hate that it has to be romantic love. It can’t be that he learns to love his servants, no he has to fall in love which is a very different matter. I don’t know why, but that has ALWAYS bothered me. Therefore, I chose to rewrite the story and feature non-romantic love.
I'm not done writing it, although I know what is going to happen. So I've posted the first five pages today. I will continue working on it and post the rest when it's done.
Anyway, since I posted the story this way, you won’t be able to comment on the story there, but please feel free to read it and then comment below this post. Hope you enjoy it, and tomorrow I’ll tell you all about what’s going on with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment