Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vegetarian

Okay internet, I’m trying not to make a big deal out of this but…I’m going vegetarian. I’ve done it for two days now, and while I’m new to it (i.e. until I get back from vacation in early July) I told myself I could eat meat once a week. I’m saving this week’s meat until Saturday when I’m going to a steak house for a friend’s birthday, which made tonight super hard. My work had our annual spring fling which means most of my students and several of their relatives all swarming my center from just before I got off at six until I got to leave at eight. For dinner we served hotdogs (which I now can't eat), and then I got to guard the moonwalk and blow $18 on raffle tickets. I won nothing and pretty much had watermelon for dinner. Here’s what I’ve noticed…
1. I get hungry a little more quickly than I used to, although that could be because I don’t really have any protein replacements yet (eggs, beans, nuts, cheese). Except cheese. I love cheese so I always have tons at home.
2. People clearly think I’m insane, unless they too are vegetarian. When I tell people the main response is “Why????” except for one parent at work who is vegetarian whose response was “Good for you. I’ll bring you some recipes tomorrow!” Thank you parent whose kid is not even in my class!
3. Cheese tortellini + chopped veggies + shredded cheese + Italian dressing = delicious salad that is completely filling and super satisfying
4. I said I would do it because it’s healthier AND cheaper. HA!! It is NOT cheaper. At least not I if don’t want to live off mac and cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Produce is not cheap. Meat substitutes (Garden burgers, tofu, etc) are not cheap. Eating only at restaurants that support my new life style is hard and not cheap.
I don’t know how long I’ll last but I promised myself I would do it at least until vacation started and then access how I felt about it. I picked before vacation because I’m going with my two friends who are most definitely carnivores and I’m not sure how eating with them every day for a week will work if I’m an herbivore.

No comments:

Post a Comment